Design at the heart of class-leading machines
Ricardo has been involved in race engine design and development for most of its history, both for complete engine supply and client product improvements.
The heart of any engine is its combustion system, and our continual investment in technology keeps us relevant, especially in the modern era of highly boosted, direct injection engines.
Our strength lies in our ability to harness the power of simulation and analysis early in the design and development process, utilizing the tools appropriate to the maturity of the design.
We help clients with concept layouts through to complete engine designs and development programmes, using our wide range of CAD and analysis tools:
- Engine performance simulation
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Mechanical system analysis
- Structural finite element analysis
- Thermal management
Our engine development, calibration and validation capabilities cover steady state and transient testing for ultimate performance and fuel economy development, using the latest control software and hardware.
We utilize a number of rigs to enable parallel development and validation paths to shorten development timescales, as follows:
- High-speed single-cylinder engines for combustion system development
- Steady state and dynamic flow rigs
- Hydropulse rig for accelerated durability
- assessment of cylinder heads and blocks
- Fatigue rigs
- Torsional (crankshafts)
- Axial (con-rods)